Stumped about a Starter
Will the starter from a 5.7L 350ci V-8 fit a 4.3L V-6?

According to Gilbert Chevrolet's website (, part number 12361146 is a high-torque mini starter that is designed for 1958-'96 Chevrolet 90-degree V-8 and V-6 engines (200ci, 229ci, and 4.3L).

This question was answered by Mike Finnegan, editor of Sport Truck Magazine. Mike can be reached by visiting the forums at

More Travel without Breakin' Balljoints
I've got a bagged '02 Ranger and am having bad luck with upper ball joints going out. What can I do or what ball joints should I get? I have some Moog ones I'm about to put in just to get it back on the street. Any help you could give me would be great.
Joey Cardoza
Via email

Driving with your truck lifted all the way up where the ball joint angle locks up is the problem. Here are two things I'd suggest: First would be a limit strap or a bumpstop on the upper control arm to prevent locking up the balljoint. Either item will work great to limit movement of the control arm before you blow out the ball joint. To do this, we use a floor jack to determine a safe lock-up height on the control arm. Then we build a stopper to limit the down travel of the upper control arm. If you check out most trucks, they come stock with these.

The second option is a control arm with a uniball or spherical bearing as the pivot instead of a ball joint. The uniball will give you more travel without breaking parts. A skilled fabricator can build a strong, safe set of arms. Uniballs are basically 1-inch-diameter bearings. They are commonly used on off-road trucks.

This question was answered by Jeff Davy, Owner/Operator of Devious Customs, a full-service fabrication and audio/video installation shop located in Riverside, California. Jeff can be reached at (951) 359-9666 or by visiting

Loves Disco, Too
I have a confession to make. I love the '70s. I dig the clothes, the style, the porn, the women, and the music. Will I look like a complete tool if I paint my Dodge with a '70s vibe?
Eric C.
via email

In today's "scene," there seems to be a fine line between a truck having a cool '70s vibe paint scheme and being labeled as a lowrider. Everything that you adore and accept as '70s paint is still currently being used heavily and seemingly unchanged in the lowrider community. If you can accept this blurred line, then this paint style may be for you. In my opinion, I don't believe your truck's body style would lend well to this paint style.

The key to achieving this paint style is to check out vintage color magazines and books from the '70s. Many publications described in-depth a ton of paint styles such as endless line, paneling, fading, murals, freak dots, cobwebbing, and lace painting. Whatever direction you choose, you most certainly will stand out at a truck show in any part of the country. Keep us posted with your progress; we'd love to check it out.

This question was answered by John Meyer, owner of Clean Cut Creations, a full-service fabrication and paint and body shop located in Webster Groves, Missouri. His shop is responsible for creating numerous cover trucks and tech articles for Sport Truck. John can be reached at (314) 968-8377 or by visiting