Updating Your 1991 GMC Truck - Fresh Start
33. Start by removing the...
33. Start by removing the single Phillips head screw in the armrest.
34. Next, pop the interior...
34. Next, pop the interior control panel on the door and separate the switches.
35. Once the switch is removed,...
35. Once the switch is removed, the harness will slide upwards, releasing the control panel.
36. Slide a clip remover between...
36. Slide a clip remover between the panel and the door, popping all the clips free.
37. When all of the clips...
37. When all of the clips are removed, the door panel can easily be lifted upward and set aside.
38. Using a nut driver, remove...
38. Using a nut driver, remove the three 10mm nuts that secure the side mirrors to the A-pillar.
39. Be sure to apply the weather...
39. Be sure to apply the weather stripping to the new Street Scene mirrors before attaching them to the door to cut down on wind noise.
40. Line up the three studs...
40. Line up the three studs and secure the mirror by tightening the nuts.
41. After the door panel and...
41. After the door panel and window controls are back in place, you can move on to the next job: adding a roll pan.
42. A good place to start...
42. A good place to start is, you guessed it, the bumper brackets.
43. These bolts may be a little...
43. These bolts may be a little tough to crack by hand, so an impact is strongly suggested. We used our Chicago Pneumatic to make quick work of it.
44. Once the rear bumper is...
44. Once the rear bumper is removed, drop down the spare tire and kick it out of the way.
45. Center the roll pan, and...
45. Center the roll pan, and once your gaps are even, mark each hole with a pencil.
46. Depending on the positioning,...
46. Depending on the positioning, it may be easier to work with the tailgate off. Use the self-tapping screws to secure the roll pan in place.
47. The provided L-brackets...
47. The provided L-brackets will keep the roll pan from flexing. Bolt them to the framerails in the old bracket holes and use the self-tapping screws below.
48. Pop the tailgate back...
48. Pop the tailgate back in place and you're finished.
49. We noticed that there...
49. We noticed that there was some oxidation on the truck, so we used some Meguiar's cleaner wax to bring the paint back.
50. Here's the final shot...
50. Here's the final shot of the Sir Michaels roll pan installed. Now the rear carries the same smooth lines as the rest of the truck.
2380 E. Orangethorpe Ave., Dept. LRE
Cal View mirrors Street Scene
365 McCormick Ave.
California Body Works
13444 Inglewood Ave.
Steel roll pan Sir Michaels
15442 Chemical Ln.
In-Pro Car Wear
6423 E. Washington Blvd.
2354 E. Orangethorpe Ave.
9319 Telstar Ave.