Part Two: Paint It!
To speed up the drying process, I used an air compressor to blow-dry the entire engine compartment. After this, it was time for paint prep. This involved covering everything that wasn't getting painted in either the aluminum foil or plastic bags. The tape came in handy to secure it all in place. Also, note that I removed the distributor cap and wires, oil-bath air filter, and oil breathers for less clutter while painting.


Part Three: Adding Shine!
Before reattaching the filters to the motor, I went back to the local auto parts store to see if I could add a few shiny parts. I got lucky and found a bunch of parts from Spectre Performance. These included a new chrome air cleaner ($17.99), a cleaner adapter kit ($6.99), an air-cleaner stud extender kit ($4.99), a billet nut ($6.99), and two chrome oil breathers ($3.99 each).

The Final Word
I started with a dirty old clunker and turned it into a respectable-looking powerplant that fooled many into thinking I had swapped in a new motor. The whole project definitely improved the pickup's looks, and all it took was a little elbow grease and about $60. This amount includes the Spectre parts that not only helped contribute some shine but fetched me some extra power with the replacement of my oil-bath air filter with a paper-element piece. Getting the rear tires to spin out put a grin on my face, and I'd say that's a job well done for a relatively low price.

SOURCE
Summit Racing
P.O. Box 909
Akron
OH  44309-0909
800-230-3030
www.summitracing.com
Spectre peformAnce
www.speedbyspectre.net
AutoZone
N/A
autozone.com