1. Removing the hard water spot from the glass took some work but they came off in the end
During the initial clean up of my S-10 I noticed that all the glass was covered in hard water spots. None of the normal glass cleaners in my detailing arsenal would even make a dent to these crusty boogers. I even tried to scrape them off with a single edge razor blade, with no luck. I have heard you can use a distilled white vinegar and water solution to get them off but I'm not sure what that might do to my paint if it got on there. Instead of taking a chance and messing up my paint I decided to use something a little more aggressive than glass cleaner but something that would still be safe on paint, Meguiar's Medium-Cut Cleaner. I had no idea if it would scratch my glass, but if it did I could get one from the junkyard. Well I didn't have to got to the boneyard after all because the compound worked and the spots and gone.
WHAT IS A HARD WATER SPOT?
Hard water has microscopic particles of stuff like calcium, lime and iron. When the water evaporates back into the air those little things stay behind and create a spot. The longer they stay on the glass, the more difficult they are to remove.
17991 Mitchell South
Irvine, CA 92614
1070 Robert Fulton Hwy
Quarryville, PA 17566
2. This is what a nasty case of hard water spots look like. These will even worse once the
3. Here's the stuff I used to get the spots off, Meguiar's Medium-Cut Cleaner, Stoner's In
4. I taped off the rubber seals along the window opening to keep it from getting stained b
5. After shaking the bottle of the cleaner I put a liberal amount on a terry cloth towel.
6. Since I had no idea how hard to scrub I took it slow. Come to find out it's like polish
7. As I scrubbed I could see the spots going away so once they were all gone from my littl
8. As you can see there are gone. There are a few small scratches in the glass that I thou